You might never experience physical abuse, but there is no escaping verbal abuse unless you live as a hermit away from all humans. Verbal abuse is commonplace today if you work at an office, are active on social media like Facebook (or have a post-trib rapture teaching website..) or if you belong to a church where gossip is the norm. Heck, if you have friends or family you will have verbal abuse. So, how do you handle these assaults God's way? How do you not respond in kind with those juicy retorts you think up? Tim and Katrina discuss strategies and key verses to overcome in this overlooked but crucial aspect so you can have "maturity" in the faith according to Jesus' brother, James (Jas 3:2). (You are tired of being an immature believer, right?)
Outline of topics covered: Read more...
- 1:00 — Stuck with gossipers in your life?
- 2:18 — No. 1 problem we deal with in community with others and its aspects is Verbal Abuse.
- 3:27 — Tim reads an email response to our last Supporter Fellowship talking about verbal abuse.
- 4:15 — Bible prophecy teachers (like Tim) get verbal and written abuse, too. They can relate to you!
- 5:27 — Social media gives space for even more verbal abuse and gossip about you. Those anonymous, pesky comments!
- 6:47 — Why explaining yourself often does not work.
- 7:57 — It's scary being out of control and having safety issues.
- 10:30 — Katrina's testimony of verbal abuse in school, every student's nightmare.
- 13:13 — Reading whole books of the Bible to get balanced understanding. Take the time.
- 13:46 — James, Jesus' brother critical warning about our tongue and self-control.
- 14:42 — What does a mature man require according to James? (Do you have some growing up to do?)
- 16:24 — It feels good to gossip and/or talk back to people.- come on, admit it!
- 17:19 — Respect that every human holds God's likeness. Wow, what an honor we hold!
- 18:17 — Feeling guilty about hurting others with our tongue but not having the tools to do differently.
- 19:25 — Tim's strategy: "If it feels good then don't say it!"- repeat, repeat, repeat.
- 20:10 — "Wise and understanding person" defined and how to get there. We are all supposed to become wise
and understanding. (yeah, you too 🙂
- 21:23 — What keeps us from being wise and understanding? Shared.
- 23:00 — What we all do that James called "demonic?" Yeah...probably a good place to evaluate and eradicate
those actions and things in your life.
- 23:50 — It's a blessing to be in verbally abusive situations. (Wait...What?!)
- 25:00 — Our #1 goal according to James
- 26:19 — How Jesus leads us into patience, endurance, and ultimately peace by His example in the midst of
suffering. (I know...you don't like being told peace comes through suffering- Yeah, I know you want to
throw rotten tomatoes at us now :).
- 28:00 — Suffering is good for you (again down with the rotten tomatoes :).
- 28:30 — Why, why, why? Why do it God's way when doing it other ways feels soooo good? You MUST
become clear on why you choose to do things God's way. What is the end goal? a) What does Galatians 5:19 have to do with the end goal?
- 28:54 — Are you the type of person that you or I want to be hanging out with for eternity? Are we the type of
people that you want to be hanging out with for eternity? (Don't answer those questions too quickly now.)
- 30:20 — Being different than the world (are you different or becoming different?)
- 31:30 — What is obedience to Christ?
- 31:40 — Are you too "lazy to understand" as James said? How did you get there if you are? Are you still only getting some nourishment from spiritual milk? How do you grow up to handle spiritual meat? What is spiritual
- 32:49 — If you cannot discern between good and evil (lots of questions on how to handle life situations that
don't seem to get answered for ya), slow down. You might be moving to fast.
- 35:39 — If people who were taught by the Apostles had problems in maturing, then probably we are going to
as well since we don't have Apostles usually living in our midst teaching us. Don't guilt yourself but instead focus on change.
- 37:10 — Are you "living like an Unbeliever?" (Hey, not our words. It's Paul's words. You can put down your
stones now :).
- 37:23 — First filter and actions to take before responding to verbal abuse according to Scripture.
- 39:25 — Who is defending who? What does Moses' life show us?
- 41:39 — "Bless those who curse us" and intercede for them- oh yeah, that is gonna hurt to do. Are you willing
to lose your life to find life?
- 43:00 — Bonus given (in Support Fellowship) that is now given to you- The Spiritual Bazooka to bring in to
the battle. The fast track to getting through verbal abuse issues.
- 47:49 — And another bonus on how to handle verbal abuse just for you- You're welcome 🙂
- 49:49 — Wow, talk about generous. We even give one more bonus for our 25th anniversary- Our testimony on how Katrina was out of line and out of respect of Tim for a good part of our marriage, and how God changed her FINALLY. (Katrina wrote that. Are you guilty of giving verbal abuse, not just receiving it?)
- 54:37 — You are all called to do "The Work of God." Do you know what that work is? (Hint, it's not what you think.)
Download mp3 here (again, requires sign in to work).
Please leave any feedback in the comments below!
Receive Tim's Prophecy Updates By Email
Join 30,000 subscribers receiving Tim's new articles and updates by email. Understanding Bible prophecy better will dispel your end time fear and bless you (Rev 1:3).
Tim is the author of this site (since 1999) and the book Know the Future that explains Revelation literally at last--including the key event of Wormwood (Rev 6-8). To read more from Tim and not miss a single new article, sign up for his free newsletter above.